Traveling Through a Network
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Hello class,
Hello class,
Ping and traceroute are used for troubleshooting internet connection problems. This shows a clear picture of how a packet travels through a network. When you compare the ping command results, you can see the differences between the domain address' ping results depending on where they are based on, geologically. Here is the result from google.com. You can see the minimum was 5 ms, and maximum 6ms. all the packets sent were also received, made a round trip without any lost packet, that means they were successful in making through the network.
I tried this website called "naver.com" from Korea. This is a Korean website but the domain contains .com for the address, and its result made it through and received without losing packets. The difference is the travel time. the round trip timed was interesting, when I thought google should take shorter(as I am located in U.S), naver.com showed way faster time result than google. I realized that my prediction with my own assumption was wrong, and learned that PING is about the availability of the website and how soon you can access it rather than where the headquarter of the company of the website is located.
For the one with .kr domain, it was a different story.
I tried to ping 11st.co.kr which has korean specific domain, and it did not go through successfully. all the packets were lost and request timed out.
Learning about Tracert was fascinating, as I was able to see where the message is going through and it showed the map of the network. Tracert command result for google was showing the completed travel within 8 hops, and when I tried 11st.co.kr, it tried to make it to skbroadband(telephone company name, so I assume that is about the network point) and it couldn't make it through further from there. It was very interesting to see where the packets made and it was helpful to learn as this can be a practical solution whenever I have a network problem.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment